Christmas is around the corner and I’m starting to think about our annual cookie exchange. This year I was looking for something different and ran across this easy, quick recipe from Land-O-Lakes. These are yummy and elegant looking — a great start to my Christmas Cookie Exchange contribution.
The original recipe is below — but, due to my daughter’s dairy allergy, I made a substitution that worked very well. I use Butter Flavored Crisco in place of butter– it works very well for a baking substitute — don’t use a dairy free margarine in your baking, they contain too much water and you will not get a satisfactory result.
- Tart Shells
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Land O Lakes® Butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Land O Lakes® Egg
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring ( I used vanilla)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup Land O Lakes® Butter
- ⅓ cup dark corn syrup (I used light corn syrup)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Garnish with 36 pecan halves
- Heat oven to 400°F.Combine all tart shells ingredients in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press 1 tablespoon mixture into each cup of mini muffin pans to form 36 (1¾ to 2-inch) shells. Bake 7-10 minutes or until very lightly browned. Remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees
- Combine all filling ingredients except chopped pecans and pecan halves in 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 4-5 minutes or until mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from heat; stir in chopped pecans.
- Spoon filling into baked shells; top each with pecan half. Bake 5 minutes. Cool 20 minutes in pans; remove to cooling rack.
Thanks Land-O-Lakes for making me look good!