Put a little farm in your life.
Come on out to the farm and meet some Iowa women who cook, farm and know how to do stuff. We garden, raise chickens, hogs, dairy & beef cattle, goats, sheep, and maybe even a peacock or two. We are sassy, strong, independent women sharing our knowledge, recipes, and stories about farm life.
So if you are a foodie, interested in raising backyard chickens, knitting a sweater from wool you harvested or just want to eat real food we hope you will listen in to our podcast series and join the fun!
Welcome to our first episode of the podcast series Farm Women Food, where Iowa farm women tell their stories, share their wisdom, talk about real food and give practical advice about country life.
Episode #3 – Pork Chops, Ham Balls, and Sausage Gravy
Story notes, Recipes, Resources for this Episode.
Episode #2 – Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner
Story Notes, Recipes, Resources, Etc for this Episode.
Episode #1 – Fresh Eggs and a Five-Hundred Dollar Quiche
In this episode, we are talking about how to get started raising city and backyard chickens and answer some common questions listeners may have with some Iowa farm women. There might even be a crazy story or two and of course, we will chat about food and recipes.
Episode #1 Links Mentioned
Recipes from Michelle Marine at Simplifyylovelive.com
Recipes from Mary at FarmGirlCookn.com
Vintage Orange Sponge Cake
Old Fashioned Potato Salad
Raising Chickens Resources
- Iowa State Extension: Establishing a Backyard Poultry Flock
- The Encyclopedia of Country Living, 40th Anniversary Edition: The Original Manual for Living off the Land & Doing It Yourself
- Chickens: Tending a Small-Scale Flock (Hobby Farms)
- How to Care for Chickens 101: Causes & Solutions for Chickens Losing Feathers
- Buying Chickens
- Chick Days at Tractor Supply
- Farm & Fleet Chick Days
- Iowa hatcheries include the following: