Recently I purchased an electric canner to replace my old water bath canner. I have been eyeing them for some time to make canning all of the lovely things from my garden easier. You would think a good farm girl like me would relish putting away 20 quarts of pickles or tomato juice. NOT…I am a small batch canner. I like variety and with grown kids, my husband and I just can’t eat a quart of pickles every week. This canner has changed my life — it is so stink’n easy to use and only uses 6 cups of water. I don’t have to stand and watch it constantly — and bonus — my kitchen doesn’t get hot and steamy. I am also having fun making interesting new things.
This week I have made 3 quarts, plus 3 pints of Bread and Butter pickles, 4 half-pints of Kosher Dills, 4 half-pints of Hamburger Dills, and 4 half-pints of this yummy, Pineapple-Mango Chili Jam. It is a sweet, hot, and savory jam that makes brie or cream cheese with crackers or toasted french bread slices an elegant, easy appetizer.
Ok, so the pineapples and mangos didn’t come out of my garden — but they came out of somebody’s garden…ok, it is more likely a field — but a girl has to live it up sometimes!
This recipe is directly from the Ball canning cookbook that came with my new FreshTech canner — note – this is not a paid advertisement — just sharing info on my new gadget crush. However, you can use any safe canning method you prefer.
- Crushed fresh pineapple 2½ cups
- Crushed fresh mango 1½ cups
- Chopped red pepper ¾ cup
- Green jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped 1½
- Ball brand RealFruit Classic Pectin 4½ tbsp
- Butter or margarine (optional) ½ tsp
- Granulated sugar 5 cups -- for a reduced sugar option -- 3 cups
- Peel and core pineapple and mangos. Coarsely chop and then crush with a potato masher.
- Measure required quantity; set aside.
- Prepare and measure remaining ingredients.
- COMBINE prepared pineapple, mangos, red peppers, and jalapeno peppers in an 8-quart saucepan.
- Gradually stir in pectin.
- Add butter if using.
- Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- ADD entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Skim foam, if necessary, from top of jam.
- Can using a safe canning water bath method for jams -- or follow instructions in your Freshtech Ball electric canning book.
Cook time below is using the FreshTech Jams & Jellies selection and Recipe 1. Ball has a great online page and videos for learning how to water bath can also…Canning 101 – Getting Started
My small batch canning projects this week — our supplies for the apocalypse according to my husband. I think we are going to be pretty hungry and tired of pickles if this is our stash!!!
Try some small batch canning — my next project is going to be Bruschetta in a Jar!
Keep it simple and enjoy,